This weeks beauty tip will not only help you with your weight loss resolution but will help your skin look and feel younger! I came across this amazing study from the British Journal of Dermatology about sugar and the effects on the skin. Did you know that sugar actually attacks the elastin and collagen in your skin? Sadly it is true. I love sugar! So this is going to be especially challenging for me. But I have to say after researching and surfing the web over the last few days looking for details on this subject I am going to be watching my sugar intake much more carefully. Originally I was only looking for evidence on the effects it had on skin but after much digging I am more concerned with my overall health. Here is a video I watched that surprised me.
But to the reason you are really here… The beauty part.
Here are five reasons you want to stay away from sugar as much as possible!
- Sugar speeds the degradation of elastin and collagen. Collagen and elastin are both key proteins that your skin needs.
- Sugar triggers a process in the body called glycation. The molecules bind to your protein fibers and make them brittle rather than elastic.
- Glycation causes your proteins to mutate, creating new molecules that are harmful and cause inflammation and damage.
- Sugar has been linked to cataracts. We all know those are not pretty!
- Sugar has been linked to arthritis. Again not a pretty look.
- Don’t drink your calories. Most drinks are full of sugar check this link to see what I mean.
- Avoid condiments. Try using vinegar and oil or make your own dressings.
- Avoid processed, prepared and packaged foods.
- Take vitamin B1 and B6 to help combat the effects of sugar on your system.
- Green Tea and white tea are good antioxidants that will help to neutralize the sugars in your system.
- Eat omega-3 fatty foods such as salmon, walnuts and flaxseed.
- Take a daily DHA tablet; fish oil or krill oil.
Add zest from one lemon to tea and begin to add sugar 2 Tablespoons at a time. Stir in entire sugar a couple spoonfuls at a time to ensure complete absorption. Voila!
|Not the prettiest presentation but it is just for me. I will have to
work on some labels and make it pretty to sale someday.
Put jar in your shower and use at least twice a week to slough off that dead winter skin on your legs and feet and entire body. *